Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Poppy for Baby J

Baby J turned one yesterday and we were pleased to attend her ultra-cute birthday party. As a gift we gave her a doll stroller (critical for a girl on the go and summertime entertainment) and a doll to occupy it.

The doll is from Hop Skip Jump's lovely Poppy pattern. I have loved her stuffies for a long time and was so excited when she started publishing patterns. I enjoyed making this one a lot more than my usual stuffed attempts. The pattern was very clever and the end result is just so sweet! I used a snap on the back of the reversible smock instead of the recommended button, since I was putting it together at the 11th hour and have yet to attempt buttonholes on my new sewing machine, plus, who wants to miss an opportunity to hammer in a snap? My only stumbles involved turning the pieces right-side out after sewing. I am apparently quite inept at this task. In fact, for the smock I had to slice open part of the seam along the neck to get the panels righted. This was ok, though, since I was planning to topstitch around the whole kaboodle anyway and it turned out great.

Hurray for Poppy! I can't wait to make another, this time hopefully in some wool flannel like the pattern suggests.

No comments: