Friday, December 15, 2006

The Boy Needs Socks

Little knitting and much working has been done this week. In the bit of knitting time I've been working on my Anemoi Mittens, but I will spare you the stitch-by-stitch development on that front and hold off on further pictures until there is actually something to see.

However here is a picture of my current commuting project of choice, socks for my husband. He never requested socks, and I frankly don't really love knitting socks, but occassionally I get in the mood and these socks were born at one of those times. Interestingly, despite his previous lack of interest, now that the socks are on the needles I am regularly hassled about the status of said socks, why aren't I working on them (when he sees me crafting something else) and various other inquiries about when he will get his now much-needed and long-delayed socks.

The yarn is Lorna's Laces in Mineshaft and the pattern is [I think] called Gentleman's Fancy Socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. It is a very simple rib pattern but creates this fabulous egg-crate texture. Plus, the pattern includes clever calf shaping. I also really enjoy the yarn - I seem to be the only person on the planet who does not fall over sideways using a certain other beloved sock yarn, but I really like Lorna's Laces for my rare sock knitting escapades.

A note on pooling: I was reading Jessica's post on pooling the other day and it occured to me that I seem to be among the few knitters who enjoys pooling in their sock yarn. I'm not sure you can tell from this photo, but this pattern brings out fierce pooling in the Lorna's Laces, which I think looks like a vein running through granite. I find myself watching the colors swirl around the sock and waiting to see if they will line up again in the next row. This pooling sorts itself out in this yarn-pattern combo to become sort of stripey in the lower part of the sock (hopefully my foot model will agree to some shots this weekend).

I really should just finish these things...

This weekend looks like more working but hopefully I will have some time to finish that log cabin pillow and get into the charted section of the mittens.

No comments: