Thursday, December 07, 2006

Read and Zip

A little craft, a little literature around here today. Unfortunately my crafty time and my reading time overlap almost 100%, so it's hard to get much of either done.

I do love to read, and I'm super picky about my books. This one is a keeper - The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. I'm a great fan of the Booker Prize winners and nominees. I know, I know, this sounds incredibly pretentious, but somehow their taste coincides very nicely with mine.* I had read Fingersmith by Waters and also loved it. The Night Watch did not disappoint - it's told from back to front, present to past and is a wonderful story about young adults in London during the Second World War. The characters all seem like people I'd love to know. It's one of those books that leaves you wondering, days later, what those characters are doing. I highly recommend!

On top is the sewn pouch I made in Liesl's sewing class at Purl. It is just the neatest pattern - it basically self-lines itself as you go. This one came out just about perfect... sadly the one I did this weekend was a little less so, but I think that was because I was in such a hurry to see how it would look finished that I cut corners a bit. I'll post pictures on that at some point. I used the leftover red and pink fabric to make a pincushion for Liesl and one for myself. Now my mom and mother-in-law have put in requests for their own, so it looks like more are in my future!

---
* Except for the 2003 winner, Vernon God Little. Oh my.

No comments: